Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Faith Alive: Fr. Jose Chavez

Nov. 15-16 is National Donor Sabbath, a time when faith leaders around the United States discuss with their congregations the importance of organ donation and saving lives.

Father Jose Chavez of the Diocese of Grand Island recently shared his story of receiving a heart and kidney transplant with Spirit Catholic Radio on Bruce Prenosil’s Faith Alive series. His story will rerun next Thursday, Nov. 14, at 7:35 a.m. on Spirit Mornings.

The following is Father Chavez’s story:

Father Jose Chavez said he sees life in a new way after undergoing heart and kidney transplants last year in Omaha.

The pastor of Immaculate Conception Parish in Elk Creek, St. John Capistran Parish in Amherst and Holy Rosary Parish in Overton said almost losing his life to complications from diabetes and a congenital heart syndrome has made him more compassionate, more present to others and more grateful for God’s blessings in his life.

Fr. Jose Chavez 
Photo courtesy of The West Nebraska Register.
“Each day is a gift from God. Regardless of how I feel, if I wake up and can wiggle my toes, I am thankful,” Father Chavez, 46, said.

Before his transplants April 25, 2012, Father Chavez was on dialysis three times a week because of kidney failure, had developed anemia and was often nauseous. Despite his health struggles, he continued to serve as pastor of three parishes, but was extremely weak and needed help from priests and deacons to do his ministry.

He initially went to the hospital in the spring of 2011 to see if his heart was strong enough for a kidney transplant. But his cardiologist, Dr. Ioana Dumitru, at the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha discovered that the priest’s heart was too weak for the surgery and that it also would need to be transplanted or Father Chavez would die within six months.  

Father Chavez said he was stunned by the news and became angry, sad and depressed. He felt helpless and hopeless, he said, but started to re-evaluate his life.

“I realized that I cannot just sit here and let my life go before me…So I decided that I was going to do something about it,” he said.

He planned some trips to visit friends throughout the country, but during the next six months, his health continued to decline. His kidneys shut down and he went on dialysis to remain alive.

Father Chavez said he relied on support from family and friends to help him stay positive, and to continue his priestly ministry. His parents left their home in Scottsbluff and moved into the rectory to help, and Bishop William Dendinger appointed a deacon to assist at Father Chavez’s parishes.

People throughout the Diocese of Grand Island offered prayers for Father Chavez.

“Once the prayers started coming through, I started realizing I was much stronger than what I thought,” he said. “One of the toughest things I had to learn was that humility is a very beautiful thing. When you see the support, you see the prayers, you see the encouragement of others and continue to live out each day basically thanking God for that moment.”

Father Chavez said he noticed his bouts of depression weren’t lasting as long and through praying the rosary, he realized he wasn’t alone – God was with him. He also often prayed to Blessed John Paul II, who also continued his priestly ministry while he was ill, Father Chavez said.

As his faith deepened, Father Chavez said he surrendered everything to God. It happened when he became sicker and had to be taken to the hospital. The doctors weren’t very optimistic, he said, and told the priest his heart was too weak.

“At that point I thought, Abandonment. St. Ignatius. Total abandonment of body, heart and spirit,” Father Chavez said.

He forgave and asked for forgiveness, and let go of negative things he had held onto throughout his life, he said.

“I said ‘Lord, I’m ready. If you want to take me, go ahead. I’m ready. You’ve given me a great life, you’ve given me a great family, you’ve given me great friends. Thank you very much, and if it is your will for me to go, then I shall go,’” Father Chavez said.

Even though he accepted God’s will, Father Chavez said he was still hopeful he would receive a heart and kidney transplant.

In March 2012, his name was placed on the national waiting list, and about six weeks later, the call came that a donor heart and kidney were available. Two priest friends drove him from Elm Creek to the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha for the transplant surgery.

It’s been a year and a half since the double transplant, and Father Chavez is doing well and has returned to ministry as a full-time pastor.

Although he hasn’t met his donor’s family, Father Chavez said he’s grateful to his donor and the donor’s family and hopes to one day be able to express his gratitude for their gift.

“Thanks be to God and to the donor, I’ve been given a new lease on life. I’ve been given a second chance,” he said. “I’ve been given a miracle of life, and so it’s become so much more beautiful and I want to share that with people. I want to help them see that with God, all things are possible.”

 Blogged by Lisa Maxson, Senior Writer/Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment