Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lent

This week marks the beginning of the Lenten season – 40 days of prayer, penance, sacrifice and good works in preparation for the celebration of Jesus’ resurrection at Easter.

Lent is one of my favorite times of the year because I like the challenge this season brings to deny myself, grow in my relationship with Christ and be a more giving person.

This year, Pope Francis is urging us to make Lenten sacrifices for others, especially the poor.

In his Lenten message for 2014, he said we as Christians are called to confront the poverty of others, “to touch it, to make it our own and to take practical steps to alleviate it.” The whole church must bear witness to those who live in material, moral and spiritual destitution the Gospel message of the merciful love of God, who is ready to embrace everyone in Christ, the pope said.

I’d like to share a Lenten ritual I’ve done since college. I think it works with what Pope Francis is suggesting.

Before Lent begins, I sit down with my calendar and designate a person or issue for each day during Lent, and make daily sacrifices or do extra things for that intention. For instance, one day’s sacrifices and good works might be offered for my sister. On that day, I will pray for her and her intentions. I also might drink my coffee black instead of with cream and sugar, not eat a dessert after lunch and send her a little note … offering them all up for her.

I think it’s helpful to have a face or an issue, such as abortion or poverty, as a motivation. It also makes the sacrifices and good works easier when I have a focus. We all need prayers and I’m sure everyone I’m going to pray for has a special intention. 

Whatever you do or don’t do during Lent, use them as an opportunity to grow in your relationship with Christ, whose ultimate sacrifice of death gives us all eternal life.

Lenten regulations

Lent begins Ash Wednesday, March 5, and continues until the Easter triduum, which begins with evening Mass of the Lord's Supper on Thursday, April 17, and runs through Easter Sunday, April 20.

The law of abstinence prohibits eating meat but allows eggs, milk products and sauces made with animal fat and applies to all Catholics ages 14 and older on Ash Wednesday, the Fridays of Lent and Good Friday (April 18).

The law of fasting allows a single full meal each day and two light meals at other times but no solid food between meals and applies to Catholics ages 18-59 on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.


Blogged by Lisa Maxson, senior writer/reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment