Thursday, October 10, 2013

An Interview with Andreas Widmer

Last month we had a special guest in our Omaha studios. Andreas Widmer, a former Swiss Guard for Pope John Paul II, an international businessman and author of “The Pope and the CEO,” stopped by to be a guest on Spirit Mornings and later sat down with me to talk about the lessons he learned from the late pontiff, who is set to be canonized in April.

In the following article, I share Widmer’s story about faith, business and becoming saints.

Andreas Widmer hopes to one day join the saint he helped protect.

Photo courtesy: thepopeandtheceo.com
He served as a member of the Swiss Guard for Pope John Paul II – who will be canonized a saint April 27, 2014 – and said he’s striving for sainthood and encourages others to do the same.

“Becoming a saint is absolutely possible, and in fact, it is required,” said Widmer, now director of entrepreneurship programs at Catholic University of the Americas in Washington, D.C., and author of “The Pope and the CEO: Pope John Paul II’s Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard.”

Everyone is called to sainthood but each person must become a saint in his or her own, unique way, he said. It’s about people being the best version of themselves, he said.

“I have to become a saint as St. Andreas Widmer, otherwise who will become St. Andreas?” Widmer told Spirit Catholic Radio during a visit to the studio Sept. 11. “God gave you specific gifts and circumstances. You have to become a saint with your talents and your situation.”

John Paul II, whom Widmer served from 1986 to 1988, knew that and lived his life to the fullest, Widmer said. He prayed as hard as he played, he said.

“I always knew he was a saint,” Widmer said.

Sainthood isn’t the only thing he said he learned from the late pope. Through encounters with Pope John Paul II, he also gained insight on business. Widmer said the pope taught him nine principles for business leadership, which he refined during his career as a successful business executive. Each is outlined in “The Pope and the CEO.”

In his book, Widmer also offers suggestions on how to integrate faith with work. He said he schedules 10 minutes for prayer during the workday, and prays for his employees, especially when he’s having a problem with one of them.

He also has a to-do list that includes such things as regularly bringing joy to important people in his life; identifying and reviewing God’s gifts each day; making time for hobbies, using up vacation time each year and resting on Sundays.

“These are my weaknesses,” Widmer said. “I’ve lived a life of not honoring Sundays, a life of just focusing on myself, a life of neglecting what I ought to do. This whole book is basically my guide and what I need to do and I’m sharing it with you. We’re traveling on this road together.”

Widmer, who was raised Catholic, said he experienced a conversion during his two-year stint serving Pope John Paul II.

“John Paul wasn’t my chum or buddy, he was the pope and so his discussions with me were always somewhat formal. But he knew I had a conversion, and I remember him saying at the end of my time with him, ‘You found Christ here. Now go and bring Christ out there.”

Widmer, who is married and has a 9-year-old son, said being in the presence of John Paul II and later making and losing a lot of money during his career helped him recognize the importance of God being in control of every aspect of his life.

“Conversion is about giving God full control of my life,” he said.

The lessons in his book came from reflection and prayer following Pope John Paul’s death in April 2005. He said he meditated on his life and the pope’s influence, and out of that came the idea for “The Pope and the CEO,” which took him three months to write.

Within 24 hours of the announcement of Pope John Paul’s death, Widmer said he was in Rome, standing in front of the John Paul’s body in the pope’s residence at the Vatican. He said he was overwhelmed with the privileges that came with being a former Swiss Guard, which also included being invited to speak on the radio, and he questioned the deceased pope about the special treatment.

“I’m praying there in front of John Paul II’s body saying, ‘Why did you give me this?’ and the answer was, ‘What are you going to do with this?’” Widmer said. “That’s when I said I’m going to start to become your witness. You give me all of this – I’ll share it. I will write a book. I’ll start to come out and say I’m a Catholic CEO. I’ll start to witness to my faith and how I met you and how you changed my life and maybe there can be the ripple effect.”


Blogged by Lisa Maxson, Senior Writer/Reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment